Tuesday, April 27, 2010

He's Sick

It was bound to happen. 8 days shy of 10 months, and Keltan hasn't been really sick yet. His teething has presented challenges to him and us, but no real sickness. Even the stomach virus Inga and I had bypassed him. This time around, however, he got it!
I have had a pretty bad cold for a week now, Inga picked it up 2 days ago, and Keltan came down with it last night. Needless to say, it has been a miserable time for him and us!
Rare for him, he hasn't been interested in eating solids. This is a very obvious sign that he isn't well. He normally gobbles down his food! He isn't even interested in a bottle! So, trying to make sure he gets plenty of nutrition and liquids could be a challenge if he continues.
Sleep was a precious and rare commodity last night. I stayed with him in the recliner till about 1, then Inga took over. Of course, I still couldn't sleep because he was crying so much - another rare thing (he is not a fussy baby). I did get up once and help calm him down, I shut the ac vent above the sofa so it wouldn't blow on him, and he slept decently. Inga was forced to stay home from work, and will be missing our Financial Peace University class tonight.
She called the pediatrician, and they recommended saline nasal mist, and let it sit in the nose for 30 minutes before suctioning. That seemed to help a lot, and he has been having a better afternoon.
Our first bout with a sick baby has been tiring. The part that is the worst, however, is the helpless feeling. We know he hurts, but there isn't much we can do other than love him and try to keep him from making it worse by crying. My mind and heart has been at home with him and Inga all day. I think we will make it through this pretty good though, and hopefully it will be over soon. I also hope we don't have this for another loooooooooooooong time!

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 comment:

  1. Hoping and praying you all get a decent night of sleep tonight. So sorry you're all sick.

    ReplyDelete