Friday, January 13, 2012

These days, Keltan is very aware of what hapens when stuff is thrown into the trash - it goes into the trash truck and is never seen again.  This knowledge of how the world works is very helpful in convincing him to cooperate and/or obey.  For instance, one day he was throwing a ball down the stairs.  I told him he needed to stop.  He did it again.  I then told him if he did it again, the ball would go to the trash.  Well, you kniw he did it again (he is, after all, Inga's son).  So, I took the ball and made a long, slow, agonizing trip to the trash can, with a pleading son following behind me, and, as he watched, dropped it into the trash can and shut the door.  Aparently, that made an imoression on him, for now when I tell him something is going into the trash, he pays attention. 
I tell you this to set up what just happened this afternoon.  We could not get him to lay down, close his eyes, and take a nap.  We tried telling him he could go play outside with Daddy if he took a nap.  He said, "I can run? (as he kicked his feet) and kick the ball?". Still, he wouldn't sleep.  Finally, I told him if he did not close his eyes and be still, I would throw the back yard into the trash.  "No, no throw away back yard!". And now he is sound asleep.  Thank you, Keltan, for saving me a LOT of hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment