skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Singing and Peers
Keltan loves to go around the house singing. This is rather funny, however, since he will not sing in Sunday school or Bible Hour at church. He soaks the songs up, though, and blesses us with them here at home. His favorite at this point is The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock, or, as he calls it, The Wise Man. He also loves Do Lord, and God Our Father. With help, he loves to sing about the Little Boy Named David. The Alphabet Song is a song you will hear multiple times if you were to hang about the house for any time at all, and he can sing the entire alphabet without messing up - been doing this for quite some time now. In fact, at times I will attempt to mess him up, but he just keeps on going like nothing happened.
He also loves to sing Zacheus was a Wee Little Man. This morning (Sunday), we skipped church due to Keltan and Daddy both being less than 100% healthwise. So, as I was hanging out with him, he started singing Zacheus. I was playing with him, asking him questions about the song - what was Zacheus? (wee little man), he climbed in a what? (sycamore tree). Why? (Cause he want to see Lord). And on and on, until we got to the part of Jesus saying he wanted Zacheus to come down. Why? (Because me love you). Enough said, enough said...
And then there is Old MacDonald Had a Farm. Keltan and I will often sing this song, and I ask him what was on the farm. We go through the chickens, cows, dogs, skunks, porcupines, etc, and at times get to Mommy, Daddy, Keltan, Raleigh, Asher being on the farm. Friday, he was singing the song himself. He did a couple animals. Then he sang, "Old MacDonald had a farm, EIEIO. And on this farm he had a uh uh uh uh um uh.....JAMMIES! EIEIEO With a *pause* wear wear here and a wear wear there..."
PEER INFLUENCE
His little daycare buddies have taught him "Hook 'em Horns", along with the finger signs that go with it. Now, I despise the Longhorns, being a devout OSU/LSU fan. Grampy despises the Longhorns even more than do I. So, when he comes up in the house making the signs and saying "Go Longhorns," my head starts to spin and projectile comes forth, as if he his conjuring up evil spirits (which I firmly believe he is). I have been trying to work this out, and get him to understand that saying "Longhorns" is the same as saying despicable four-letter words, but that doesn't seem to register with him. So, I tried making him understand that saying "Go Longhorns" makes Grampy sad and makes him cry. I try to get him to do the "hook the horns" sign, where the Longhorn hand gesture is turned upside down. I tell him that Longhorns up makes Grampy sad, Longhorns down makes Grampy smile. You know what? It doesn't matter. His little buddies have him saying it and doing it, so the best I can hope for is to keep influencing him in the good ways of Pokes and Tigers, and make sure he hates Burnt Orange as he grows up. Peer influence.....don't underestimate it!
No comments:
Post a Comment